Thursday, July 8, 2010

...In the beginning ....

So I am new at this - new at blogging, new at marriage & new at being a housewife/homemaker. I'm excited, nervous, motivated and ... I am a bit of a clutz. So this is me, sharing my adventures in perfecting our home, our lives and mostly - all the meals in between.

"What's for dinner?"
I love those words. I mean I actually love those words. I know most people don't, but I do. Probably because I would have spent the previous 1-2 hours figuring out the answer and then creating it. Some of it might have ended up in the trash or in the composter, but - tonight when he asked, I announced proudly: Beef Stroganoff! And, it was good.

What was not so good was the dud of a loaf of bread I attempted to make. I adore bread. The bakery section of the local grocery store is an area I linger in. I long to tap all of the crusty loves of bread with my finger nails...there isn't anything like a loaf of bread, dusty & crusty on the outside, airy & soft on the inside. Sigh. Truly, there is NOTHING better than sliced bread. But, I digress. I've always wanted to learn to make bread - real bread: French, artisan, Italian, braided, brioche, sourdough...O ANY loaf of yeasty goodness!

Understanding my limitations, tonight I started out with just a standard loaf of white bread - from scratch! Warm water, add a little sugar, some yeast - WAIT - add some milk, a touch of melted butter, pinch of salt, flour, then knead & let it rest in a nice warm place and let the centuries old magic take place in your kitchen. An hour later I peaked, and, it worked! It rose! It doubled in size! So, I punched it down, tossed it in a carefully greased bread pan & loaded it in oven....
I guess in my excitement I punched it too hard. It didn't rise again & I wound up with a very dense, yummy smelling, crusty - brick.

At least we had stroganoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment